Unity Final Update – 4/24/17

Here are the rest of the props that I textured for our Unity game. I often would use materials that I made in substance designer such as the holographic glass, speckled plastic, and brushed aluminum. I always added a thin layer of dirt to every object to add roughness variation. I also added scratches when necessary; especially for metal pieces. Emmissive maps were used throughout on most items to add to visual continuity. Grime was added to items that made sense – like the soda machine, popcorn machine, and condiment dispensers.

Overall I learned to keep a quicker pace this time around and am still curious what makes a “perfect” texture job. Like, what makes a great texturer from an okay texturer?

Lastly, because I remember you mentioning it eaerlier in the semester, I’ll talk about how much work my teammates did in comparison to each other. Overall, we all worked very hard on this project. I personally believe Trey and Nichole put in the most effort into this project, as I saw them in the lab more often than me and Van. Van ended up spending more time in the lab in the later half of the project, but she was always consistently working throughout it. I would continually work on the project everyday, but I would go to bed earlier than my partners. Van, Nichole, and Trey were all able to stay up very late working in the lab (often times around 3 or 4:00 in the morning) where as I would try to go to bed by 2:00-3:00 each night. Once again, I think Trey and Nichole put in more effort than me and Van did. I (maybe pessimistically) think I put in less effort than everyone else, but I don’t regret getting more sleepĀ each night and I am proud of how hard I worked on this project.

In the end, I textured every asset that I needed to texture. I UV mapped the majority of the assets, I created the greyboxes with accurate prop dimensions (all the research included) and I was eager to plan and discuss the project in its beginning phase.

Unity Project – Hotel Greybox and more

So the past week I have created the base mesh and rough props for our hotel portion. It has a glass dome and will have one room be accessible.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

For the HUD I knew that pixelated typography would make the most sense, and that it should glow because it is part of a screen. The Groovy! is what will be shown when you complete an objective. “Property of:” for humor.

User Interface

Below I complied some typefaces of the 60s that we may use.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Unity Group Project – Greybox

As part of the first week of work, I created the greybox of our environment.

It is a bowling alley with a hotel lobby at this point, and we plan on adding hotel rooms later that can be accessed via elevator/teleporter.

The original design was made by Nichole, and most major changes were discussed among the whole group. Smaller design choices were made by me while building the environment.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Below are the reference images I used to help with proportions and layout.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Below are sketches that Nichole made for design.

Diorama – Final Assets Update

Hello! I would just like to go over the last props that I made for my diorama.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I knew that I needed more props in my scene, and that I could make them very small. I created most of these props for the desk area. All of these assets were made in 3ds max and textured in substance painter.


It’s hard for me to explain, but I absolutely LOVE this map. I am very pleased with the results. I copied the same layers that I used in the substance painter project for my other map in order to add dirt, ink blots, and stray ink marks.

These two maps were made by taking screenshots from these websites:



I had to take screenshots of different portions of the map and stitch them together in photoshop. I had to do this because the original website doesn’t let you just download the full res image.