Unity Final Update – 4/24/17

Here are the rest of the props that I textured for our Unity game. I often would use materials that I made in substance designer such as the holographic glass, speckled plastic, and brushed aluminum. I always added a thin layer of dirt to every object to add roughness variation. I also added scratches when necessary; especially for metal pieces. Emmissive maps were used throughout on most items to add to visual continuity. Grime was added to items that made sense – like the soda machine, popcorn machine, and condiment dispensers.

Overall I learned to keep a quicker pace this time around and am still curious what makes a “perfect” texture job. Like, what makes a great texturer from an okay texturer?

Lastly, because I remember you mentioning it eaerlier in the semester, I’ll talk about how much work my teammates did in comparison to each other. Overall, we all worked very hard on this project. I personally believe Trey and Nichole put in the most effort into this project, as I saw them in the lab more often than me and Van. Van ended up spending more time in the lab in the later half of the project, but she was always consistently working throughout it. I would continually work on the project everyday, but I would go to bed earlier than my partners. Van, Nichole, and Trey were all able to stay up very late working in the lab (often times around 3 or 4:00 in the morning) where as I would try to go to bed by 2:00-3:00 each night. Once again, I think Trey and Nichole put in more effort than me and Van did. I (maybe pessimistically) think I put in less effort than everyone else, but I don’t regret getting more sleep¬†each night and I am proud of how hard I worked on this project.

In the end, I textured every asset that I needed to texture. I UV mapped the majority of the assets, I created the greyboxes with accurate prop dimensions (all the research included) and I was eager to plan and discuss the project in its beginning phase.

Watch Tower – Finished

I was tasked with recreating a watch tower from Age of Empires 2 for my 3d Modeling 2 class. I chose this one:

watchtower

As you can see, it is a very low-res image.

Finding out the source or, the country of origin, was impossible without buying the game. I decided to stick with the provided image and create details where the image has left indistinguishable.

The goal of this project was to be as close to the original picture as possible, while using artistry to fill in details not clear in the original image. Our low-poly model had to be 1200 polygons.

I created the high-poly model first, and the low-poly last. The high poly model is  143096 polygons. The low poly model is 1200 polygons.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Here are my final renders from inside of Substance painter using Iray.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Diorama – Planning

For Intro to Game Technology, I have been tasked with building a diorama of a WW2 Japanese General’s HQ.

At this stage I am planning out all of the props I wish to have. I have used the movie “Letters from Iwo Jima” as reference.

25

I will make the tables, chairs, crates, and boxes from this scene.

41

This is a great aesthetic that I want for my scene. Atmospheric lighting, hanging lanterns from rope, and the supporting wood.

44

This shot shows maybe the layout for my scene. Not necessarily a completely open room, but having separate rooms. I also want to create a desk which has similar clutter on it.

38

I really like this shrine and want it in my scene. More research will be needed on its purpose and other ways to set up this type of shrine.

img_2842

I would like to have a katana in my scene. This specific one was an Imperial soldier’s in WW2.

setwidth2400-dscn5331

This is the Type 14 Nambu pistol, a common pistol used by soldiers in the Imperial army.

 

The next thing I need to do is plan the layout of my diorama and create the grayed room with basic geometry, and sync it from 3ds max to Unreal Engine.

Treasure Chest – Finished

I was assigned the project of creating a low-poly treasure chest. I had to make a high-poly and bake it into a normal and diffuse map.

My treasure chest is based on the Parthenon. The proportions and features are very similar, but mine lacks as many columns, a full-fledged interior, and is not destroyed.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The maximum poly-count for me was 750 polygons. The mesh I used in substance painter ended up having a few more than I thought I had, so I went back into 3ds max and deleted all the unnecessary polygons that wouldn’t affect the uv’s.

The high-poly was around 23,000 while the low-poly was around 600 polygons.

Here are my maps! In the following order left to right: Roughness, Normal, Metallic, Height, Base Color. Top to bottom: Top, shingles, metope, columns, and bottom.